The Patriots Memorial Park Scholarship is a $1,000 grant awarded to high school students who are residents of Dekalb County, Alabama; with a goal of bringing awareness to those individuals from DeKalb County who have lost their life or made significant sacrifice to their country and county.
We are looking for students who understand the implication these patriots have had on their individual freedom and have also made their own sacrifice to our community by demonstrating noteworthy leadership skills.
If this sounds like someone you know, please feel free to read on to learn more about our requirements:
- Student must be a senior currently attending a DeKalb County school.
- Student must have maintained a 2.5 GPA or above through his/her final two years in high school
- Students must maintain the GPA during the application process as well- if the student intentionally drops their grades while we are deciding, this will result in immediate denial regardless of meeting the other requirements. You must keep your grades to the aforementioned level.
- Students must be able to demonstrate community leadership skills.
- Student should be able to produce three references from adults, to include but not limited to: a parent, educator, veteran, a police officer, firefighter, or a relating public servant. You may not include references from friends. References must be supplied in .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .rtf file formats.
- Students must plan to attend college or technical school the semester following his or her high school graduation.
- Student must demonstrate a genuine need for these funds.
- Student must include at least a 500 word written essay or a 2 minute video.
- The 2017 topic has been set: “How can our community encourage collaboration in planning and development across county wide organizations.”
- Entries awarded for the 2017/18 school year are due on April 31, 2018.
Funding for this scholarship will be derived from a portion of the donations and brick paver sales collected for building the Patriots Memorial park. The Patriots Memorial Park Committee will determine the number of scholarships to be awarded each year.
The fields below are all required to apply. Please fill each field completely, and upload documents as requested. Hit submit when you have finished.